improving family life
Call or Whatsapp : +1-909-999-6948
Free Consultancy Service 24X7
Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT) Treatment.
If you are struggling to conceive a child due to certain complications, it is recommended that you try a procedure referred to as Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT).
What is gift? GIFT is a fertility treatment which is nowadays becoming popular and is quite similar to the In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) procedure.
With this treatment:
• Your ovaries are given stimulation in order to produce more eggs than they are usually capable of forming.
• The eggs, once produced, are collected and transferred from your ovaries.These are then mixed with the sperm sample collected from your spouse in a laboratory.
However, GIFT is an entirely different procedure and should not be considered as the same as IVF.
• The eggs and sperm are transferred almost immediately to your fallopian tubes.
• Therefore, with this procedure, fertilization takes place inside as opposed to outside the body.
• The embryo can start its development in the midst of natural surroundings as compared to an artificial environment.
Is Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer GIFT Recommended?
You will have to consult your doctor before actually opting for the procedure.However, your doctor may ask you to consider it for the following reasons:
• If your fallopian tubes are open and other procedures have not really done you a world of good despite their apparent effectiveness.
• If you are suffering from problems which relate to ovulation or cervical difficulties.
• If you do not receive a concrete answer as to why you are infertile.
• If your husband is suffering from a low sperm count or if the sperm does not have the ability to move fast enough.However, it should be noted that for problems related to a low sperm count, an intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) would be the treatment of choice.
The GIFT Procedure:
The entire process is quite complicated and you should therefore be well informed of the procedures by your doctor before actually opting for it.Here are the steps involved:
• The GIFT procedure makes optimum use of your fallopian tubes and treats it like a natural incubator for the fertilization process.With this exception, the entire GIFT fertility process is quite similar to the IVF treatment procedure.
• You will be administered fertility drugs which help stimulate your ovaries in order to ensure the development of mature eggs for the fertilization process.
• After the eggs mature, your doctor will locate the eggs with the aid of an ultrasound.He will then proceed to extract and then remove them from your ovaries by using a hollow and fine needle.After some time, a few of your eggs will be mixed with the sperm which your husband will donate for the procedure to be successful.
• Soon after that your doctor will transfer the eggs and sperm by a surgical procedure to your fallopian tubes which will lead to your uterus from the ovaries.This will be done with the aid of a fibre-thin tube via a small incision which may be made in your abdomen, or through a catheter which will pass through your cervix.
• This will then lead to the implantation which will follow shortly.
• Ensure that you take adequate rest once the procedure is complete.Progesterone will be administered by an injection or gel to build up the uterus lining to make it ready for implantation.
How Long Will It Take?
A complete GIFT cycle normally takes four to six weeks.Egg retrieval and gamete happens almost instantly in the same procedure and you can go home the same day.
Advantages Of GIFT:
You might want to opt for GIFT if:
• The doctor feels that both your fallopian tubes are intact or if you have religious reasons to opt for it.
• The GIFT technique is better than IVF especially when a problem arises to insert an embryo via the cervix or vagina.
Thus, the GIFT procedure can be viewed as an effective procedure to help you conceive a baby if you are facing biological complexities.